- Read as a writer.
- Judge a book by its cover.
- Activate your prior knowledge.
- Find patterns & make connections in the text.
- Imagine yourself in the story, novel, debate, historical situation, etc.
- Use a writing timer.
- ICE every quotation (or example).
- Make your thesis more than one sentence.
- Take chances & make your writing memorable.
- Connect the title, hook, thesis, transitions, & closing.
- Read out loud.
- Read in reverse.
- Stand, walk, & read.
- Have some else read it.
- Highlight quotes to check for ICE.
- Citizen Kane
- Pulp Fiction
- SW: The Empire Strikes Back
- LOTR: The Two Towers
- Maus 1 & 2, Art Spiegelman
- Persepolis 1 & 2, Marjane Satrapi
- Daytripper, Fabio Moon & Gabriel Ba
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller
- Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth, Chris Ware